July and August Favorites

This post is a little overdue, but I couldn’t let summer end without sharing my favorites!



Mission Impossible: Fallout: I hadn’t seen any of the Mission Impossible films prior to this one (surprise I know), but I couldn’t resist my cousin’s invite on opening weekend. I was blown away by the explosive stunts and the plot wasn’t half bad either. If you’re like me and haven’t seen any of Ethan Hunt’s previous exploits, have no fear! It’s easy enough to follow along and comprehend 🙂

Netflix’s To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: This was a really cute story with talented young actors just oozing star power. Every generation deserves a good coming-of-age movie and To All the Boys is one of the better I’ve seen in recent years. Lana Condor lights up the screen and even as a twenty-something I could definitely relate to her. I highly recommend for the YA-lovers and Noah Centineo swooners.


My latest obsessions feature some of the strongest Latina characters television has ever seen (IMO).


One day at a Time (2018) is a remake of the 1975 classic of the same name. Justina Machado stars as a single mother raising her two kids with the support of her old-school Cuban mom Lydia (Queen Rita Moreno). It’s fun, it’s flavorful, it’s family! The legendary Norman Lear serves as executive producer and we know his work speaks for itself.*

*Good Times, The Jeffersons, and All in the Family (to name a few)

Queen of the South is another remake that has had me glued to the screen. Teresa (Alice Braga) is the underdog in this USA Network series and I’m here for all of her drama. Life is good until her drug dealer boyfriend is killed for double crossing his bosses. Before his untimely demise, he gives Teresa a coded handwritten ledger with the promise that she will be able to buy her freedom. Violence and drugs are two staples of the show, but so is resilience and the power of a woman who refuses to go down without a fight.

The American version is probably 98% in English (duh), and that remaining 2% is all the bad words in Spanish LOL No le digas mi madre por favor 😜


What were some of your favorite things this summer? Any movies/novels/music I’m missing out on? Let me know in the comments below!




4 thoughts on “July and August Favorites

  1. Great article!

    I haven’t seen To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, but I’m planning on reading the book and then watching the movie at some point.

    I’ve heard such great things about the One Day At a Time remake. I love Justina Machado from Six Feet Under and Jane the Virgin. Definitely a show I plan on starting at some point.

    I love book adaptations and I read You by Caroline Kepnes over the summer in anticipation of the Lifetime series. Reading the sequel now. So far, the tv series is a great transition from book to tv.

    I finally started Red Oaks on Amazon and it’s such a great show!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I’ve heard positive things about Red Oaks from others as well. Maybe I’ll get a chance to check it out soon. Thanks for reading and commenting Jodi! I’ll be sure to check out your blog as well 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Yes, love Red Oaks. Just started the last season and it is definitely a show that grows on you. I’m actually sad it’s almost over, TV Nerd over here, LoL.

        Thanks so much for checking out my site!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.